Community Use of Schools
Opening the door to support healthy, active lifestyles
The Lakehead District School Board is committed to sharing our school facilities with youth organizations, community partners, sports teams and local citizens.
Schools are the hubs of their communities. The Community Use of Schools program offers an effective use of taxpayers’ investment, by providing citizens with a place to come together, to volunteer, build skills, access programs, become physically active and develop strong and healthy communities.
LDSB offers community agencies, parent groups, sports organizations, and local citizens fair access to use school space free of charge during non-school hours, in accordance with Board Policy 8011 Community Use of School Facilities.
Community Use of Schools is subject to availability and may not interfere with scheduled school activities.
Most schools are available Monday through Friday from 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm, and weekends from 8:00 am - 10:00 pm.
For the detailed policy description, refer to Lakehead District School Board Policy and Procedures 8011.
- See “User Categories” below for category definitions.
- Schools shall be available to non-profit user groups from 6 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and for eight hours on Saturdays and Sundays.
- All rentals require proof of liability insurance (which can be purchased from the school board at a reasonable cost).
- Compliance with all taxing and licensing requirements shall be the responsibility of the user.
- Additional "Conditions and Regulations"
|On-Line Booking System:|
To book a facility you must register your group with the Lakehead District School Board through the On-Line Booking System and have an email address.
To register and obtain your username and password please follow the instructions on the On-Line Booking System page.
A Permit User Guide is available for download for your reference in completing the process and booking a facility.
CATEGORY A (Board, School, Reciprocal Agreements, Partnerships and Day Cares)
- School Council activities
- Co-curricular and extra-curricular activities supervised by a teacher or responsible adult
- Programs sponsored and/or supported by Lakehead District School Board (eg. Home and School Association; staff training including AQ Courses).
- City of Thunder Bay Parks and Recreation programs
- Coterminous Boards' Physical Education Program
- Best Start Hubs and Day Cares located in our schools.
CATEGORY B (Non-Profit - Free of Charge)
- Individuals (birthday parties, baby/bridal showers, staff parties, etc)
- Athletic and amateur sports groups (including staff groups)
- Local community group activities (eg. crafts, book clubs, etc)
- Local community theatre, dance or musical production
- Any other group where money collected is used for community club or charitable purposes, and not for personal gain
- Meetings held by the following groups: Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Rovers, Sparks, Brownies, Guides, Rangers, Junior Achievers, Junior Farmers, 4H, Pathfinders.
- Non-revenue generating local community association meetings (eg. Municipal business meetings; Board Union/Federation meetings)
CATEGORY C (Commercial)
The following groups will be charged a commercial rate:
- Please contact the Community Use Officer for application information
- Private instructional classes
- Commercial activities
- Any other group that yields a profit to individuals or groups of individuals
User Category C (Commercial) Details:
Gymnasium - Single $56/hr Gymnasium- Double $84/hr General Purpose Rooms: 0-50 seating (i.e. classroom) $50/hr 50+ seating (i.e. cafeteria, library) $60/hr Custodial Staff $40/hr Playing Field TBA
- Additional costs may be added for any extraordinary expenses (eg. Extended hours, weekends, holidays, special activities, etc.)
- If clean-up is required, all costs will be assumed by the user. All custodial costs will be as per union agreement. Current rate is $40.00 per hour. NOTE: 13% HST IS CHARGED ON RENTAL RATES AND CUSTODIAL COSTS
For Community Use inquiries, please contact any of our schools, or email CU_Officer@lakeheadschools.ca