The Lakehead District School Board has recognized the importance of working with the Aboriginal community by establishing the Aboriginal Education Advisory Committee (AEAC) in November 2004. The Committee is comprised of six Aboriginal parents/guardians, an Aboriginal youth, Aboriginal agencies, a Trustee, an Elder and internal Lakehead Public Schools staff. It should be included that representation from both teacher’s unions are on the committee (LETO and OSSTF).
MISSION STATEMENT: “Connecting for Success”
The mandate of the Aboriginal Education Advisory Committee (AEAC) is to advise the Board on matters relating to the education of Aboriginal students.
The mandate also includes:
- Increasing the cultural awareness of all Board Trustees and personnel through professional development and/or other related activities.
- Expanding the awareness of effective programs for the educational needs of Aboriginal students.
- Facilitating initiatives for all Aboriginal students.
- Providing advice on initiatives including, but not limited to, student programs, Aboriginal studies, student retention and alternative education programs.
- Developing and enhancing partnerships with community based agencies that support Aboriginal students and their families.
- Responding to the Board on requests for advice and recommendations on matters that the Board may direct to the committee.
- Advocating both provincially and locally for specific needs of Aboriginal students.
- Identifying community issues that impact education.
- Responding to other initiatives as they arise.
New Aboriginal education initiatives and projects are shared with this group for consultation and feedback. In addition, the group provides advice on the Board’s direction in terms of Aboriginal Education and provides input to the Board’s budget process.
The Aboriginal Education Advisory Committee (AEAC) meetings are held from 9:30 am to 12:00 pm on the following dates:
- Thursday, Sep. 19, 2019
- Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019
- Thursday, Dec. 12, 2019
- Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020
- Thursday, March 26, 2020
- Thursday, May 14, 2020
- Thursday, June 11, 2020
Location: Board Room, Education Centre, 2135 Sills Street
Current AEAC members:
MARTIN, Gerry (Elder)
SITCH, Trustee Ryan
CHAMBERS, Chair Ellen
DOUGHTY-SMITH, Trustee Sue
KAKEGAMIC, Anna Fern
TOOKENAY, Renee (Knowledge Keeper)
VAN ELBURG, Fred
Primary Contacts and Co-chairs:
Indigenous Education Lead