At this evening’s Regular Board Meeting, the 2015-2016 Lakehead Public Schools Budget was approved by the Lakehead District School Board. The Operating and Capital Budget of $133,189,229 supports the Lakehead Public Schools commitment to the success of all students.
“I am extremely proud of the commitment made by our Budget Committee and administrative staff for the development and presentation of a budget that has kept the needs of our students in the forefront,” says Jack Playford, Chair of the Lakehead District School Board.
The 2015-2016 Operating and Capital Budget was developed in an inclusive manner with stakeholder input. Input was received from a number of stakeholders in the form of presentations and written submissions. A link on the Lakehead Public Schools website also provided an opportunity for individuals and groups to provide budget input. On April 7, seven community stakeholder groups provided presentations to the Budget Committee.
“We appreciate and depend on the various stakeholder groups who take the time to present what they see as priorities for the upcoming budget,” says Marg Arnone, Chair of the Budget Committee. “The valuable input allows us to develop a truly inclusive budget.”
Stakeholder Groups participating in the budget consultations included:
- Special Education Advisory Committee;
- Aboriginal Education Advisory Committee;
- Lakehead Elementary Teachers’ of Ontario;
- Lakehead Ontario Principals’ Council;
- Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation – Student Support Professionals’ (OSSTF-SSPs);
- Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation District 6A Teachers’ Bargaining Unit (OSSTF); and
- Parent Involvement Committee.
The next step in the budget process is the formal submission to the government. The budget must be submitted to the Ministry of Education by June 30, 2014.