Lakehead Public Schools is guided first and foremost by the health and safety of our students and staff. After extensive consultation with the Ministry of Education and the Thunder Bay District Health Unit, we are committing to reduce the number of student to student, student to staff, and staff to staff contacts as we return to learning. As a result, all secondary schools will be moving forward with an Alternating Week Blended Learning Model for all students registered for in-class learning.
- All students in grades 9-12 will attend school 5 days per week with normal class sizes
- Students will take 2 courses per day: one in the morning and one in the afternoon
- In order to limit the number of contacts students encounter at school, each course will be offered as a blended model – one week in person and one week virtually throughout the quadmester
- In person classes will run every morning and virtual classes will run every afternoon
- Students will be on a two week rotating schedule, attending one course in-person in the morning, and their second course virtually in the afternoon. In week 2, those courses would flip. For example, consider a student taking Mathematics and English. In week 1, they would receive instruction from the math teacher in-class, and English virtually online. In week 2, they would receive instruction from the English teacher in-class and from the math teacher online.
- Students will be dismissed at 12:00 PM each day to either walk or take the bus home in time for the afternoon class online.
Please note that while Quadmester 1 begins on September 3rd, students do not return to school until their indicated staggered start date:
September 8, 2020 – Students in Grades 9 and 11 ONLY
September 9, 2020 – Students in Grades 10 and 12 ONLY
September 10, 2020 – ALL STUDENTS
Students in special needs classes will begin school on September 8th and attend everyday thereafter. Students with special needs who are not in special needs classrooms attend with their grade.
More information about the Alternate Week Blended Learning Model will be communicated by your school. If you have any questions, please contact your school. Thank you for your patience as we work together to ensure the safety of all students, staff, and families as we return to learning.
This model does not affect those students registered for remote learning.