New Community Use Availability Schedule
- Weekend community use of school facilities is not available.
- In order to provide secondary schools with adequate flexibility in school event scheduling, community use of secondary schools is not available.
- Bookings during the week will be limited to hours where there is regular custodial coverage (hours of availability vary by school).
- All permits submitted for the school year are limited to a maximum booking time of 4 hours per week.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Permit holders must notify the Community Use Officer in advance if they are not intending to honour their booking. Failure to do so will result in a $120 charge being applied to their account and their permit cancelled until it is paid.
Most elementary schools are available Monday through Thursday from 6 PM to 10 PM. Community use is not available on statutory holidays, March break, summer break, or winter break.
For the detailed policy description, refer to Lakehead District School Board Policy and Procedures 8011.
Groups are required to complete an “Application/Permit for Use of Schools” available through our Online Booking System or by contacting the Community Use Officer.
- See “User Categories” below for category definitions.
- Most elementary schools shall be available to non-profit user groups from 6 PM to 10 PM Monday to Thursday.
- All rentals require proof of liability insurance – minimum $2 million (which can be purchased from the school board at a reasonable cost) naming Lakehead District School Board as additional insured.
- Compliance with all taxing and licensing requirements shall be the responsibility of the user.
- Additional Conditions and Regulations
On-Line Booking System
To book a facility you must register your group with the Lakehead District School Board through the On-Line Booking System and have an email address and a valid credit card.
To register and obtain your username and password please follow the instructions on the On-Line Booking System.
Please allow a minimum of 7 days to process your request.
CATEGORY A (Board, School, Reciprocal Agreements, Partnerships and Day Cares – Free of Charge)
Board Sponsored Events and Groups
- Education programs sponsored and/or supported by the Board
- Board committees
- Training sessions and professional development for employees
- Speakers/presentations/information sessions for students, staff and/or public arranged by Board
- Co-curricular and extra-curricular program-related activities supervised by a teacher or responsible adult
- School Council activities including school dance
- Speakers/presentations/information sessions for students arranged by staff or School Council
- Home and School meetings and activities
- Parent/student fundraising for the school groups
CATEGORY B (Non-Profit – Free of Charge)
Permits submitted are limited to a maximum booking time of 4 hours per week.
Non-Profit Youth Community Programs
- Non-profit youth (under 18 years of age)
- community programs and organizations whose membership is not restrictive and whose leaders and/or instructors receive no direct compensation
- Charitable organizations or agencies providing before or after school programs at cost, no cost or donation only
Non-Profit Community Sports
- Non-profit recognized youth sport and recreation service providers
- Unorganized/amateur athletic and sports groups – this includes staff and student groups not directly related to school and student programming
Non-Profit Community Recreation
- Non-profit recreational or social groups/clubs or activities – this includes staff and student groups not directly related to school and student programming
- Non-profit community theatre, dance or musical productions
- School reunions
- Birthday parties, baby/bridal showers and staff parties
Non-Profit Community Associations and Organizations
- Non-profit local community associations and municipalities holding meeting or public information sessions
- Board union and federation meetings and information sessions
- Groups where money collected is used for community club or charitable purposes and not for personal gain
Partnerships and Reciprocal Agreement Groups
- City of Thunder Bay Parks and Recreation Department Programs
- Coterminous Boards physical education program
- Indigenous Programs
- Lappe Local Area Services Board
- LU Education Department (PPOD)
- Additional Qualification Courses (OISE, LU)
- Individuals providing music/piano instruction to students at LDSB rural schools
- Providing before or after school programs
CATEGORY C (Commercial – Cost based)
Private or Corporate Commercial Groups
- Activities for private, corporate, and/or other organizations or individuals that yield a profit