2019-2020 Student Trustee Introduced
At the Tuesday, May 14 Standing Committee Meeting of the Lakehead District School Board, Westgate Collegiate and Vocational Institute Grade 11 student Sierra Gaudreau was introduced as the new Student Trustee. Sierra replaces outgoing Student Trustee Jaimi Plater who will be graduating from Hammarskjold High School and attending university this September. Sierra Gaudreau will commence her duties as the Student Trustee on August 1, 2019.
“I am very proud and excited to be chosen as the Student Trustee for the 2019-2020 school year,” says Sierra Gaudreau, incoming Lakehead District School Board Student Trustee. “I am very passionate about education and I am always looking for more opportunities to become more involved in my education experience. I also want to bridge the gap the communication gap between students and the people who make decisions about their education.”
In addition to her studies, Sierra is very busy with numerous activities at her school and in her community:
- Student Activities Council
- Grade 9 and 10 Executive Member
- Public Relations
- Westgate CVI Student Ambassador
- Westgate CVI representative at a number of committees and conferences including United Way Youth 4 Community Granting Committee, Secondary Student Senate and Youth Embracing Diversity in Education (YEDE)
- Westgate CVI Band
- Westgate CVI Track and Field Team
Community Volunteer Experience
- Lakehead Public Schools Literacy Camp
- Thunder Bay Public Library Readers are Leaders
- St. Thomas Family Giving Centre
- Chippewa Summer Camp
- Sister Leila Greco Apartments – Recreational Therapy
- Shelter House
- St. Thomas’ Church Lay Reader
Following secondary school, Sierra is interested in attending University to obtain a science degree and to eventually attend medical school to pursue psychiatry.
The student trustee provides representation for all Lakehead Public Schools students in accordance with Ontario Legislation. The student trustee is a non-voting member and has a one year term for students in Grade 11 or 12. Students may apply for a second term.