Lights, Camera, Stop Motion!
For the past month, students in the Grade 11 and 12 Communications Technology classes at Superior Collegiate and Vocational Institute have been working with the Thunder Bay Art Gallery in very unique and exciting workshops that feature stop motion animation. The students are working with Art Gallery staff on their stop motion projects on Wednesday, November 29.
“This collaborative project with the Thunder Bay Art Gallery provides the fundamentals and techniques involved in producing stop motion animation,” says Lisa MacLeod, Superior Collegiate and Vocational Institute Technology Teacher. “The students will also be working together with an experienced local stop-motion animation artist to produce a short animated class film.”
Students worked hands-on to explore a variety of different ‘stop-motion’ animation skills including:
- Creating and building animation characters
- The art of storyboarding and storytelling
- Creating 2D and 3D film sets
- Control of armatures
- Working with different lighting and camera techniques
- Sound editing techniques
- Working with different software programs related to producing ‘stop-motion’ films