$23.2 Million Capital Funding Announcement!
This morning, Bill Mauro, MPP for Thunder Bay-Atikokan attended a news conference at the Lakehead Public Schools Jim McCuaig Education Centre to make a $23.2 million Capital Funding announcement for our Board!
You can also see video of the announcement on the Lakehead Public Schools Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/LakeheadSchools/
Ontario Investing in New School and Addition for Thunder Bay
New Infrastructure Projects Supporting Local Student Success
NEWS June 16, 2017
Ontario is investing $23.2 million dollars in Thunder Bay to build one new school and invest in one new addition to provide students with the best possible learning environment.
The new investment will support the Lakehead District School Board with infrastructure projects that help reduce the cost of under-used space. The two new projects include:
- A new elementary school with the Lakehead District School Board to be built in Thunder Bay to accommodate students from the consolidation and closure of Agnew H Johnston Public School and Edgewater Park Public School.
- Renovations and the addition to Westgate Collegiate and Vocational Institute to accommodate incoming students from Sir Winston Churchill Collegiate and Vocational Institute.
These projects are part of the largest infrastructure investment in schools, hospitals, public transit, roads and bridges in Ontario’s history. To learn more about what’s happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
Investing in new and renovated schools and increasing access to high-quality child care is part of the government’s plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
“I am proud of this important investment in the students and community in Thunder Bay. These new projects will be terrific additions to our vibrant school communities and is also great news for our local economy as the repairs and renewals will create jobs.”
— Bill Mauro, MPP for Thunder Bay-Atikokan
“By building the best possible learning environments for our students, we are laying the groundwork for their future success. I am thrilled that these school infrastructure projects will support the well-being and achievement of students across the province for years to come.”
— Mitzie Hunter, Minister of Education
“We are pleased with the funding announcement made by the Ontario Government today regarding the Lakehead Public Schools South Side Renewal Plan. Renovations and addition at Westgate Collegiate and Vocational Institute and the construction of a new elementary school on the site of Sir Winston Churchill Collegiate and Vocational Institute for the students of Agnew H. Johnston Public School and Edgewater Park Public School will allow us to continue to provide high quality academic programming and enhanced opportunities for both elementary and secondary students.”
— Deborah Massaro, Chair, Lakehead District School Board
“Through the financial support of the Ontario Government, our elementary and secondary students will have the opportunity to learn in the best possible learning environments. I would like to recognize the efforts of school and Board staff, who along with our school communities, worked together throughout the Accommodation Review process to ensure a concerted focus on academic excellence and student well-being.”
— Ian MacRae, Director of Education, Lakehead Public Schools
- Since 2011, the Lakehead District School Board has received capital funding totaling $88 million dollars. This funding supports the construction of 4 projects, including 1 new school.
- The province has completed its 2014 Ontario Budget commitment to invest $750 million to support school capital projects that reduce excess space.
- Ontario is helping 100,000 more children aged 0-4 access quality, licensed child care in schools, homes, and communities over the next five years.
- Ontario is investing $1.6 billion in new capital funding to support the creation of 45,000 new spaces in schools, other public spaces and communities over the next five years.