Incredible Achievement Recognized
Congratulations to Hammarskjold High School Grade 12 student who received a Trustee Recognition for her amazing international science accomplishments.
Curious? Well, read on because you will be amazed! The following is the award speech provided by Trustee Marg Arnone:
“Emily Cross is in Grade 12 and is also a renowned future scientist.
Emily was chosen by the United States Science and Engineering Festival and the US Department of Defence to be one of 23 keynote speakers at the X-Stem in Washington DC this past April.
X-STEM is an Extreme Symposium for middle through high school students. X-Stem reaches up to 370,000 students and educators via live presentations and videoconference technology.
Emily was one of two Canadian presenters in 2017 and she was the only high-school student presenter.
As an X-Stem presenter, Emily was chosen to represent Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honour Society, of which she is an Associate Member.
Her presentation, “The Future of the Past” was designed to inspire youth scientists to pursue scientific research in fields that examine the past in order to illuminate issues in the present, or predict events in the future.
Emily is an internationally-awarded youth scientist, science mentor and STEM educator.
She has won numerous awards including:
- Sigma Xi High School Geoscience Medal (2016)
- ISEF American Geoscience Special Award First Place (2015)
- ISEF Earth and Environment Grand Award 4th Place (2015, 2016)
- Canada-Wide Science Fair Gold Medal (2014), and multiple regional science awards.
She was a TEDx speaker in 2016, is a national youth science mentor for the Canadian Youth Research Network, and a Regional Director of Sustainable Youth Canada.
Her research discoveries include:
- a method for extracting fossils, fossilized soft tissue and gemstones from ironstone without damage,
- the discovery of specific environmental factors that degrade or alter stone tool artifacts,
- the contra-indication of the formation theory of a North American fossil deposit
- and recently a new and highly effective method of removing harmful air pollutants.
Congratulations Emily! We can’t wait to see what your future holds for you!