Return to Learning 2020 – Letter to Families
Dear Lakehead Public Schools Families:
The Ministry of Education has determined that Lakehead Public Schools can reopen in September in a full conventional model, with enhanced health and safety protocols. While several aspects of the plan can be confirmed further to today’s announcement by the Ministry of Education, specific details of the Lakehead Public Schools Reopening Plan will be released to the public next week.
- Lakehead Public School students in Kindergarten through Grade 8 will attend school 5 days per week, with one cohort for the full day, including recess and lunch.
- Hammarskjold, Superior and Westgate will be permitted to open with daily attendance by students with cohorting in place to limit the number of student-to-student contacts
- Distancing measures will be in place in all elementary and secondary schools.
- Students in Grade 4 to 12 will be required to wear non-medical or cloth masks while in school.
- Students in Kindergarten to Grade 3 will be encouraged but not required to wear masks in common spaces.
- Medical masks will be provided for teachers and all other school staff.
- Reasonable exceptions to the requirement will be put in place.
- Parents will be able to decide if they want their children to attend in-person for this school year and will have the option of a remote learning program delivered by LPS teachers
- Students with special education needs will attend school 5 days per week with the same supports as students are accustomed to.
- Transportation with enhanced health and safety protocols will be available as per Lakehead Public School policies.
- A new school health monitoring system will be established through a partnership between the ministries of Health and Education, Lakehead Public Schools and the Thunder Bay District Health Unit to monitor and respond to reports of COVID-19 symptoms.
- School staff will receive training on required processes and procedures on three PA days to start the school year August 31
- The ministries of Education and Health are working together to provide testing capacity to keep schools safe and treat any affected student or teacher/staff member.
Thank you for your patience as we work to provide a full and comprehensive plan for reopening.
Director of Education