2017-2018 Student Trustee Introduced
At this evening’s Standing Committee Meeting of the Lakehead District School Board, Sir Winston Churchill Collegiate and Vocational Institute Grade 11 International Baccalaureate Programme student Lahama Naeem was introduced as the new student trustee. Lahama replaces outgoing Student Trustee Robyn Sulkko who will be graduating from Sir Winston Churchill Collegiate and Vocational Institute and attending university this September. Lahama Naeem will commence her duties as the student trustee on August 1, 2017.
“I believe that I will be in the position to support and strengthen the communication bridge between the Board and the students,” says Lahama Naeem, incoming Lakehead District School Board Student Trustee. “I am a good listener and I believe in speaking up for those who are unable or uncomfortable to do so. It will be an honour to have the privilege of representing my fellow students.”
In addition to her studies, Lahama is very busy with numerous activities at school and in her community:
- Student Council Representative
- Executive member – 2015-2016
- Grade Representative – 2016-2017
- Model United Nations Assembly Club
- School Activities
- Participating organizer of Taste of India Night and Churchill Cultural Open House
- Thunder Bay Mosque and Lakehead University Muslim Student Association
- Annual Open House to raise awareness
- Annual Breast Cancer Pink Hijab Day
- Working with children at the Mosque
- Volunteer at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
- Hospital Elder Life Program
- Thunder Bay Public Library
- Readers are Leaders
Following secondary school, Lahama is interested in attending medical school to become a pediatric physician or psychiatrist.
The student trustee provides representation for all Lakehead Public Schools students in accordance with Ontario Legislation. The student trustee is a non-voting member and has a one year term for students in Grade 11 or 12. Students may apply for a second term.