Skating Party for New Friends
The party is on! Students from the Nor’wester View Public School Global Citizenship Academy are hosting a skating party for students at Sherbrooke Public School. The activity was planned and will be facilitated by the Academy students as they develop their citizenship and leadership skills.
“The Global Citizenship Academy students were very excited to plan and facilitate this activity for their new friends at Sherbrooke Public School. Many of the students will be skating for the first time,” says Kristi Lees, Grade 7/8 Global Citizenship Academy Teacher at Nor’wester View Public School. “Many new skills were developed as they fundraised and worked with our business community to obtain some very generous donations.
Both schools conducted collections for skates and helmets for Sherbrooke students to use now and into the future. The Nor’wester View students also secured donations for:
- A popcorn machine for future fundraising activities;
- Nutritious snacks and refreshments;
- Professional face painting lessons to provide alternative activities for the children;
- Skate sharpening;
- A donation of activity books and toques for the students; and
- additional funds to purchase equipment to encourage physical activity off the ice.